Full Time, Employee
The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for assisting in the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resource function. This includes executing on duties and responsibilities related, but not limited to, benefits, compensation, employee relations, HRIS, and training and development. The Human Resources Generalist fulfills a critical role in the human resource function’s ability to serve and support employees with excellence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties may vary and other duties may be assigned.
• Manages the administration of the university’s benefit plans. Acts as the primary point of contact for employee concerns and requests regarding these plans. Serves as the primary liaison with the university’s external benefits consultant on the resolution of a variety of employee benefit issues.
• Assists the Director of Human Resources in evaluating the benefit programs and making recommendations for enhancements, as well as in planning and executing on the annual open enrollment process.
• Works collaboratively with the Director of Human Resources and the Finance team in administering the compensation program, assessing both internal equity and external market competitiveness of its pay practices. Assists with oversight of the annual salary review process. Develops and maintains job descriptions.
• Coordinates with employees on FMLA and ADA requests, and ensures that the processing and communications related to both processes are timely, compliant and consistent.
• Coordinates the unemployment process, including the completion of all required paperwork, initiating appeals, and preparing for unemployment hearings.
• Assists the Director of Human Resources in the area of employee relations by independently resolving low to mid-level issues, elevating the more complex issues to the Director of Human Resources for handling. Provides HR policy guidance and interpretation, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Provides coaching to supervisors in carrying out their responsibilities, as appropriate.
• Attends and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations, as directed by the Director of Human Resources.
• Utilizes the HRIS system to execute on above mentioned duties, and identifies and recommends enhancements to the system to gain operational efficiencies both within the HR team and from a self-service perspective for both employees and supervisors. Runs reports and analyzes data for trends and patterns.
• Assists in facilitating the onboarding process to ensure that new employees are welcomed and properly assimilated to the organization and its mission.
• Develops and implements employee recognition and engagement programs.
• Identifies and assists in the implementation of training and development opportunities to meet the ongoing educational and professional development needs of the university’s employees.
• Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations. Reviews policies and practices, and makes recommendations for changes to ensure compliance as well as sustained employee engagement. Documents and manages employee files, maintaining confidentiality of files and access to records.
• Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
• Corresponds with employees by phone and email providing excellent customer service in all areas related to the position. Ensures proper follow-through and timely responses.
• Coordinate special projects as assigned by the Director of Human Resources.
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field of study
• Minimum of 3 to 5 years of human resources or related experience. Benefits and compensation experience required.
• At least a year of successful experience in a higher education setting preferred
• SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) credential or equivalent work experience