Full Time, Employee
The Sr. Application Developer/Architect is responsible for leading development efforts for multiple Highway IT portfolio projects including enhancements for Bridge Management System (BMS2) and Engineering/Construction Management System (ECMS).
The Sr. Developer will work across functional and technical teams to implement the core features of the BMS Data Integrity, On the Job Training (OJT) and (Environmental Commitment Mitigation and Tracking System (ECMTS) projects.
The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of managing Enterprise Application Development Teams and solutions, including the major responsibilities listed below.
2. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES / PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Provide assistance and, in some circumstances, develop project plans for each of the projects including scope statements, work performance measurements, activity and milestone lists, project schedule, human resource plans, team performance assessments and communication management plan in accordance with PENNDOT and Commonwealth standards.
• Manage scope of the project and gain agreement and approval of any scope changes.
• Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
• Direct work planning and scheduling of all work, identifying priorities and assuring the completion of
mission-critical tasks in a timely manner.
• Be responsible for tracking all assigned work items and driving them to closure.
• Be accountable for the completion of tasks across the assigned projects.
• Serve as primary point-of-contact for all project related issues and resolution of issues.
• Identify and manage project risks and develop risk mitigation strategies, track to closure.
• Anticipate issues and proactively address them.
• Maintain action items and follow up to drive tasks to completion.
• Resolve conflicts with sensitivity and tact.
• Think critically and innovatively in delivering solutions to problems and obstacles.
• Develop and facilitate achievement of program service commitments and performance metrics.
• Ensure that all tasks add value and support the strategic direction of the agency.
• Communicate to team members how their work relates to and helps to achieve project objectives.
• Participate in team development activities following the Agile methodology including Scrum.
• Completing stories within the commitments made for the sprint, including meeting all conditions of
satisfaction and definition of complete.
• Performing quality assurance reviews and fixing code, configuration and content issues in a timely
• Working with Business Owners to proactively identify dependencies and options for
effective iterative development.
• Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
3. KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Experience with continuous integration and automated test execution.
• Experience with tools such as Jenkins, Eclipse, Maven, Visual Studio, Nexus, Oracle.
• Experience delivering software in Agile/Scrum, including story planning, working in sprints,
communicating blockers, work as ScrumMaster and Business Owner, and active participation in
Sprint ceremonies (daily stand-up, demo, retrospective).
• Experience with performance testing with IBM Rational Performance Tester or similar, including tuning web applications and architecting to accommodate performance requirements.
• Knowledge in the SOAP, RESTful principles.
• Extremely organized, articulate, detail-oriented and comfortable working within a non-structured
• Ability to prioritize the hierarchy of multiple tasks on various projects.
• Communication skills to present, persuade and work with multi-disciplinary teams on technical projects and strategic plans for the department.
• A willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategies on the fly.
4. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• 8 years of Java/J2EE.
• Thorough technical understanding of different web technologies and websites.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
• Practical project management experience over comparably sized application development projects.