Full Time, Employee
JOB PURPOSE AND SUMMARY
We are seeking a DB2 Database Administrator. This role provides technical support for database environments and supports the full system life cycle. This position performs at a moderate level of complexity with a high level of proficiency under general supervision. This position will function as a DB2 Database Administrator for a variety of operational and support databases.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Database and System Administration
- Maintain existing databases by investigating factors such as storage requirements, access time, input/output frequencies, and unusual problems encountered by applications/systems analyst.
- Perform moderately complex database design tasks related to the establishment of the structure of a database including analysis, logical data model review, and physical database design.
- Maintain and manage database structure, backup and recovery, data propagation (replication), and performance monitoring/tuning.
- Research, recommend and implement new technologies, skills, and methods to proactively manage
- Determine table attributes, primary, and alternate keys for multiple
- Install and upgrade software to enhance database
- Monitor database activity and file
- Troubleshoot root cause of database issues and recommend solutions or
- Implement database monitoring procedures to maximize availability and performance of the database.
- Interact with staff from areas outside of Management Information System (MIS) to participate in and/or organize projects that are short/long
- Work with third party vendors to review installation prerequisites, database sizing, and support database installation of the
Project Management and Communication
- Serve as DB2 Database Administrator for projects of varying
- Partner with other Information Technology (IT) personnel within the department units, functional users and vendors to provide guidance, manage project implementation or users support.
- Participate and/or take a lead role with the infrastructure and database configurations/changes, upgrades and etc. that are moderately complex in nature with a high level of
- Test and ensure that systems and databases are developed and implemented according to all published
- Responsible for documentation, tracking, controlling, & prioritizing open
- Research, test and install new database related
- Perform scheduled
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related degree and two to five years of experience or any combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Working knowledge and application of database
- Competent skills to debug and dig deeply into one specific task to uncover root cause and provide solution(s).
- Hands on experience with a Database Management System (DBMS).
- Demonstrated intermediate experience in physical data modeling, database design principals, programming.
- Track record analyzing moderately complex information to draw alternative
- Proven ability to learn and support new hardware, software and operating systems and apply innovative business
- Effective communication skills necessary to make yourself understood when speaking about complex technical
- Demonstrated knowledge of development of a data strategy and associated
- Ability to plan, organize and work on multiple tasks
Preferred Qualifications: Experience with DB2 V10 and/or V11 in z/OS, DB2 performance monitoring and tuning.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position requires participation in a 24x7x365 on-call rotation. The frequency of the rotation depends on the number of members in the team. On-call requires carrying a cell- phone and responding to calls within the agreed upon timeframe set within company standards. Internet connectivity from home is required as part of the on-call rotation.
Flexible for occasional off-site travel required.